Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day #17 - I'll Take You For A Ride In My Big...... Red Truck.




Slept in late and ate breakfast at the motel. We were in no hurry to get up because we planned to take the bike to the bike shop which didn't open until 10. Mr. G went to check on renting a car but it wouldn't be ready until 4. So after eating breakfast we biked to the bike shop. The guy at the shop was very helpful, replaced my brakes and checked the gears making sure everything was still in order. By 12:30 I was on the road heading towards Missouri. Mr. G stayed in town and ran some errands until 4 o'clock when his rental car was ready, which turned out to be a red truck. [Mr. G got an upgrade]


My bike trail was basically flat today and a lot of the crop land in Illinois is flooded.


But. I got to see a bunch of wildlife which included, bullfrogs, blue herons, ducks, turtles and some egrets. The last 12 miles of my ride was along the Mississippi River, which marks as the border of Missouri and Illinois. I beat Mr. G to Chester, 51 miles from Carbondale, arriving around 6 o'clock. Chester Illinois is where Popeye was born :). When Mr. G got here in the truck I hopped in and we went for a spin. We saw Whimpy, Olive Oyle and Popeye.


We ate pizza then went to the local Dollar General and drove over the Mississippi River, which I'll be biking over tomorrow. We're staying at an FOE Lodge that provides a small cabin with bunks and showers for bikers, another free night. We met two bikers here, one from Sweden, and another from Northern Virginia, who are headed west also. They are both very friendly and have spent a whole day here resting. They met each other on the trail and are both pulling trailers behind their bikes.



Tomorrow I am planning on biking to Centerville Missouri, 100 miles away. Mr. G's goal is to take it easy, visit some historical sites and meet me at several points along the way.


Stephen Rosenberger.
Mr. G.

Location:W Holmes St,Chester,United States

4 comments:

  1. Stepehen and Brian,
    Nice truck. How did it feel to have four tires under you instead of two?
    Did you guys eat any canned spinach? You know, Popeye would eat it all the time for extra strength.
    Ok guys take care and be careful and safe.
    Your friend,
    Larry F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, you both seemed happy today especially in that BIG RED (Texas-sized) TRUCK.
    Stephen, as your mom, make sure you drink plenty of water on your century ride tomorrow.
    I hope Mr. G enjoys his day off in his big red truck. Just love it.
    Blessings to both of you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the big, red truck!!! It's awesome! :D
    haha...I love the Popeye picture, I used to watch that show all the time :D
    Hope you made it to Centerville, Missouri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad things are still going well. Tomorrow when you are riding down the road be sure and watch out for RED TRUCKS. People who drive them tend to go faster than other drivers. Just kidding, tell Mr. G hello for me. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete