Monday, June 27, 2011

Day #21 - Everyday's an Adventure.

This morning I woke up to an amazing breakfast provided by our hosts. We drove back to where I finished yesterday and I was biking by 7. It was cloudy and threatened to rain on me all morning but never did. I thought today was a very productive day. First of all, I saved a turtle that was on the side of the road. His name is Flash.


He doesn't like strangers. Then, I got stung by a wasp..... Which hurt. Mr. G and I went and watched a movie, Super 8. Oh yeah... I biked 120 MILES! :) Longest day yet. Finally, I got hit by a car. It was this morning. I was biking up a hill and suddenly felt a pain in the back of my leg. The car had hit me in the back of the leg with the rearview mirror. My leg got bruised pretty bad but I was able to continue my ride. You should see the car, I broke the mirror clean off of it. The driver did stop and apologize and we kinda laughed about it [I didn't want to make him feel any worse then he already did]. All in all, today was a good day! After biking 4 days through Missouri, I've finally made it to Kansas. I'm almost half way across the country. Still, everyday we see two things.

Crops.



Cattle.


Tomorrow is my last day of biking before I meet up with my family for my brother's wedding. I'll continue to post daily and let y'all know how the wedding is :).

Mr. G - Today was another day for learning about the area. In the morning I went to the original Bass Pro Shop in Springfield, Missouri. It was huge. They had a stuffed gar that was eight feet long, a record. The sign said it was caught in the Trinity River, Trinity, Texas.


They had a lot of aquariums with many kinds of native fish. After meeting Stephen for lunch, I visited three mire state parks. One was the home of Nathan Boone, son of Daniel Boone a famous adventurer himself.


Then I visited the birthplace of Harry S Truman. Both places were closed but someone came out and gave me a tour anyway. Finally I went to Prairie State Park and hiked a trail through the prairie. I saw a large buffalo there too. We're camping in another city park. It feels kind of funny sleeping right in the city like this.


Stephen Rosenberger.
Mr. G.

Location:E 25th St,Pittsburg,United States

7 comments:

  1. Stephen,
    How's your leg?
    Man, you have a great outlook on life. You got stung by a wasp, hit by a car, saved Flash, saw a movie and rode 120 miles. Amazing!
    Be careful my friend.
    Hey Mr. G - I think that was the same alligator gar that jump in my canoe one time when I and two other scouts were canoeing with the troop down the Trinity River. Was it green with lots of teeth?
    Take care guys and have a great day tomorrow.
    Your friend,
    Larry F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your fine son, I hope your leg isn't too sore tomorrow. Thanks for being so considerate.
    Go figure, Mr. G., a gar from Texas.
    Will see real soon. Thanks for hanging in there for Stephen.
    P.S. Stephen, I don't want to hear through texting late in the evening that you were hit my a moving vehicle again. I can handle news, maybe a little dramatic, but I can.
    With love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. *KANSAS*
    ..."carry on my wayward son"...(not that you are a wayward son, I just like the song)
    Half-way is a major milestone. Congrats!!!
    Njoy the wedding & Relax a bit.
    faith, hope & love, ~Mark Dupre'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that bass pro ;) I can't believe you got hit by a car!! Don't get your self killed. But, if you do.. I'm moving in and taking over your room ;) jk have fun and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...you had an adventurous day!! good job for saving the turtle ;) I got stung by a wasp a few weeks ago and my arm blew up into a big red balloon! not fun... good job for not damaging the car too badly ;) :D haha..that must have been a shocker though getting hit by a car! 120 miles!?? you are awesome!
    ooo...yes! take a picture of Julia for me so I can see her in her pretty dress :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Stephen and Brian, I finally found time to look at your blog and enjoyed reading about the entire trip. It was great to have you stop and visit my family and me on Sunday. Hearing your stories really took me back to my 1976 Cross country Bike trip... so many similarities!! Mostly the stories about the people met along the way! (I was never chased by a hog although I did get hit in the shoulder by an RV... in Yellowstone) Sorry to hear about that. I hope the bruise doesn't hinder you in days to come!!
    I am so proud and excited for you both about your trip. An adventure to remember forever!! Your new friend in SW Missouri, Jeannie
    P.S. Michael and I enjoyed your forgotten lunch we made on Sunday night. We owe you a lunch!! come visit anytime!! Safe travels to the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude. You must be ripped. You broke the mirror of the car??? Gosh!
    Cattle and crops! Ha! I'm sure you're gonna have tons of stories after this is over! Have fun at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete