Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day #35 - The Highest Peak Of The Trip.

We woke up to another amazing breakfast this morning. After much talk and visiting we set out on our way. We biked up Monarch Pass, an elevation of over 11,000 feet. [This picture was taken at the place we stayed last night. You could kind of see the mountains in the background]











We were on the top of the mountain in time for lunch. While resting on top of the mountain we noticed a storm was coming our way and we didn't want to be caught in the rain so we were in a hurry to ride down the mountain. It seems like everyday around 2 o'clock it starts to get cloudy and rain here in the Rockies. The roads today were particularly good. We had shoulders, there were nice people towards bikers, and plenty of down hill. I reached speeds of 40 mph :). After biking down the mountain it eventually rained on us, but we continued through it.....this time Prepared. We biked another 100 mile day. I still haven't had any flats, but Cameron [One of my
Biking buds] popped a tire today. We got it changed and were able to finish the ride. Tomorrow we are biking another 90 miles before taking a whole day off in Telluride, CO. Ever since I've gotten into the mountains I've been seeing a lot of wildlife. Today I've seen three hawks, dozens of deer, a porcupine and yesterday the team saw a pack of mountain goats run across the road in front of us. Everyday is a new challenge and we see new things, I love biking in the Rockies.











I know this blog post is coming in a little late compared to most, that's because I actually fell asleep typing it. Right now it is 4:30 in the morning and I'm trying to make sense of what I'm typing. ;) So. Yes, it's a little more tiring biking through the mountains but we're still making it....and having fun.











The worst part about the Rockies is the altitude we're having to bike. Today we went up past 11,000 feet and it almost becomes hard to breathe at first, but we are definitely getting more used to it.

Stephen Rosenberger.



Location:S 5th St,Montrose,United States

3 comments:

  1. Hey Stephen,
    I'm glad you're enjoying the Rockies. I love the
    Mountains too. I'm also glad you were prepared
    for the rain. It will probably happen every afternoon.
    This will be last chance to post a comment
    for a while. Wednesday we will be canoeing
    in the wilderness of the Boundary Water.
    So take care and I'll get back in touch with
    you in about a week.
    Your friend,
    Mr. F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Son,
    Sounds like God is favoring you this week. You sound enthusiastic, again. Please give Mrs. Pamela a BIG hug from me - mom to mom - for watching over you. Have fun in Telluride. Your friends are needing a long day's break, they've been riding for 15 days straight. Please call home - we miss you!
    love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daang! That is awesome! In the middle of the fun part!! Are you getting tired of being gone yet? :D I bet not.. You're doing amazing, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete